Sunday, October 20, 2013

What I've Been Up To

Since I felt like some of these posts were overdue, I figured it would be alright to include them all in one post.  So here is a little bit about what I have been doing besides working full time which isn't blog worthy at all, to be honest.

Rookie Yearbook 2 Party at The New Yorker Festival

Young Tavi Gevinson's website Rookie Mag released their second annual publication Yearbook 2 and had release parties in a couple locations to celebrate.  If you don't know a thing about Rookie, I highly recommend following the link and reading some of their articles.  I feel so lucky to have been able to attend the New York event, especially after I at first thought I was unable to go because tickets online sold out so quickly.  But then I had my sister enter the reader talent show and she got in so she got a +1 and then I had to wait on this long New Yorker Festival ticket line to reserve 4 more... because apparently there were still available tickets if you were able to do that.

The event included Rookie contributors reading their pieces, a reader talent show with judges Annie Clark (St. Vincent), Dev Hynes (Blood Orange), Tunde Adebimpe (TV on the Radio) and comedian Eugene Mirman (Bob's Burgers), and a performance by girl band Potty Mouth.  It was a really good time.  Everyone in the audience was super nice and supportive.  I got to meet Olivia Bee, Petra Collins and Arabelle who were all also very nice.  The girls who performed in the talent show were amazing.  There was a girl who did yo-yo tricks, some singers, and a hula hooper.  My sister actually won for her standup routine!  People have tweeted at her saying they are still laughing weeks later.



She will probably kill me if I posted the video on here and she found out so I am offering some alternative places you can follow her for some of her hilarious material- Twitter and Vine

with Annie Clark (St. Vincent)

with Tavi Gevinson yay

New York Comic Con

I went to NY Comic Con too dressed as Sailor Mars.  It was my first cosplay ever and making it took forever and was honestly kind of painful.  It was fun but I don't know if I would do it again.  I really liked it/hated it at the same time probably just because I got stressed.  The tutorial I used is here.  If you have any questions about how I made my costume- let me know and I will be happy to help you.



I mostly just did a lot of walking around in circles.  I wanted to go to the designer toy panel but didn't make it there probably because I just felt way too overstimulated.  It's been a while since I have been to a con.  I only ended up buying one thing which was this Tara McPherson Diana Mini F+ camera because it was adorable and I will actually use it because it takes a standard film size, unlike my Diana F+ which I am going to be putting on Ebay in the coming weeks. 


I still haven't taken it out of the box but once I use it, I will definitely post the photos I take.  There were only a few of these available at Comic Con but I'm pretty sure it's a pre-release and there will be more available in the next month or so.

I also checked out some of the live painting for the Roebling Wall in Brooklyn.



Jeremy (Jeremyville) and Megan, who I interned for one summer, gave me one of these Jeremyville Mighty Wallets!  I can't wait to use it for when I go out and don't want to carry my whole wallet.  I think it will be perfect for that.  It's supposed to basically last forever.  Anyone else ever use one of these?

Anyway yeah that's it for NY Comic Con.  I only went on Saturday.

Tara McPherson, Adam Wallacavage and Masakasu Sashie
at Jonathan LeVine Gallery


I went to this opening last night and it was incredible.  Jonathan LeVine gallery always has my favorite shows.  I recommend checking this one out while it's still up.  There is some really amazing and unique work there all the time, but this show is a definite favorite of mine.

Tara McPherson

Tara McPherson

Tara McPherson
Tara with baby Ronan- he's SO cute!

amazing Adam Wallacavage piece

Tara signed my book!

So that's been the life update!  Thanks for reading~

Twitter ✿ Instagram ✿ Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment